Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Porsche 911 GT2 RS: Excitement

Porsche 911 GT2 RS
Porsche 911 GT2 RS

While I like fast cars I think the GT2 and others in the supercar category represent overkill more than they do the joy of driving. After a point it takes so much horsepower and money to make a car go just a smidgen faster that it hardly seems worth it. I last drove a GT2 in 2002, and while the new car is technological leap over the old one it is only two-tenths of a second faster from zero to 60 even though it has 36% more power and even weighs a little less. The 2002 GT2 cost $179,900.

One more thing irks me: The company says the GT2 ran a lap of the 14-mile Nurburgring racetrack in Germany in 7 minutes, 18 seconds. That’s way faster than my Mazda could do it, but it’s roughly even with the times top racing drivers were posting nearly 40 years ago. So where’s the great progress?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails